Why no underwater swimming?

Discussion in 'GTA IV' started by Brem, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Brem

Brem Member

I remember when I first played San Andreas and had the ability to swim underwater. It was never in any previous GTA game and when it was included it was a nice inclusion. Now with GTA V coming and allowing for a whole new world underwater, it seems weird to me that they couldn't include swimming underwater in GTA IV. I bet they had it planned but scrapped it for limitation reasons.

I wonder if there's mods out there that allows swimming underwater. I'll have to check that out when I get my laptop. :)

2. Carl

Carl New Member

It had to be the limitations. Or it could of been because they wanted to focus more on the world rather than the underwater portion. It could of been in the making, but I'm sure they scrapped it. The game was big at the time back in 2008 so I can understand it getting even bigger in GTA V.

And I have a feeling there are mods that allow for swimming underwater. But I imagine that'd be a bit hard to develop, especially when the original game didn't include it.

3. Spotter

Spotter New Member

I was annoyed that we weren't allowed to swim underwater in the game. It would be really easy to escape police doing that which would be both a good and a bad thing. It'd be good if they made it so that when you fell out a helicopter and landed in the sea, you sink in accordance to the height you fell from. Maybe GTA V...

4. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

I think there are mods. The game did include underwater, I'm sure it's just the one color when you go under though so it looks as if your swimming in an infinite color space until you surface again. Just like going under the map in COD.

5. sos

sos Member

I think in GTA IV the focus was on the actual gaming that underwater swimming was not a priority. I forgive them for that because they really nailed it on the field of play. However the underwater swimming would really have been a nice inclusion in the fourth installation.

6. davidexct

davidexct Member

I think that Grand Theft Auto had been trying to make GTA IV serious and is some what lacks some cool features and one of them is under water swimming. I heard about a mod that enables and lets us under water swimming in GTA IV, may be that can help gamers who are interested to do under water swimming.

7. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

If you have played GTA V, you ill notice hat it has everything San Andreas had. You can swim underwater deep down the ocean now. Jus have your fun. In other news, GTA V has been reported to come to PC in early 2014. Part time guys!

8. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

To be honest it never bothered me in IV just because I would have a hard time believing Niko to be an athlete.

9. Rob

Rob Member

I used to get so mad when I would always drown when I fell into water in the other games, glad they added swimming now.

10. MedeaWakoski

MedeaWakoski Member

Yeah, I don't know why. I would have liked swimming in Red Dead Redemption too. It's so silly they drown instantly. LOL.

11. Stiflex

Stiflex New Member

It's obviously because of the limitations, they wanted to focus on the city and the landscape - while saving up as much money as possible, and not spending their entire budget. That's another thing, their budget might have not allowed them to do this.

With GTA 5's budget, there's no boundries...

12. x0MandyLynn0x

x0MandyLynn0x New Member

I'm shocked it doesn't have under water swimming. To be honest I haven't yet played this game. I'd love to whenever I get the chance though. From the videos I've seen on YouTube and all the positive reviews/ratings on this game, it makes me even more tempted to want to play it. I've heard how so many things were added into this game, all the graphic updates, new cars, missions etc! So I'm surprised swimming under water wasn't added as-well. I think the game needed it's limitations though, plus honestly to me. It's not really a big deal if I can swim under water or not. I'm more interested in the actual game-play, graphics.

13. xlzqwerty1

xlzqwerty1 Member

The size of the game is limited to a standard dual layer DVD size, so around 8 GB. Along with Hardware Limitations on the consoles for the Xbox 360 and PS3, it's not surprising that one is unable to swim underwater. There just wasn't enough power or space to include such a feature at the time, but GTA V seems to have fixed that now with the expected arrival of upgraded hardware and bluray capabilities on the new next gen consoles. GTA V on Xbox 360 and PS3 also has diving capabilities, however other stuff have been cut down to reduce file size (texture resolution for example).

14. sos

sos Member

Whenever I get a game that allows me to venture I always through myself into the water first. I just want to see how creative the developers are with their underwater design. I am glad that I never did that in four. It just was not top on my list of things to do.

15. Chaos

Chaos Member

I remember clearly that I dived underwater in GTA IV. Maybe I was using a mod or something but I remember that I was using underwater swimming to escape from the copes.

16. MyNameIsTrevor

Well, at least you don't instantly drown when you touch any body of water, so it's better than nothing...

17. BCH

BCH New Member

This is a minor detail, I don't think there necessarily has to be anything underwater. It might've been good if they made underwater swimming a thing, but I'm not crying because it's not there.

18. DieselFit

DieselFit New Member

I don't remember any mission that needed us to be under water. I think I remember being on a boat for a mission but as others have said, the game focused on the city rather than the water. It was probably scrapped. It's strange too because GTA is suppose to be like...Open!

19. Jhamaree Elam

Jhamaree Elam Member

I think Underwater swimming is a big feature. It may not only be time consuming to create, but it may also be difficult. I mean a underwater map may be really difficult to make and it may be difficult to stop the game from glitching which may happen often. I mean everyone has experienced that one time when they fell into the ground and they kept falling.

20. WorkingGamer

WorkingGamer New Member

I do not really see the attraction of swimming underwater which is why I did not miss it when I played GTA IV; can not really even say I spent much time at all even near the water. I mean San Andreas was cool and V did it pretty darn well it just does not seem to be the most important part of the series.